Dinner in the Desert.
Bold beef aromas coming from the grill while the wafting smoke sends out the signal that dinner is near. One of my favorite meals when camping in the RV is Carne Asada Tacos with fresh Pico. I am also a big fan of Spanish style Quinoa. Fresh Pico is as bright in flavor as it is in color and the Spanish Quinoa adds the spice like many recipes in my Dutch oven cookbook. The meal is relatively inexpensive and mostly healthy, made healthier based on your condiment choices.
Tomatoes – 10 Roma
Cilantro – 1 large bunch
Red Onion – 1 large
Jalapeño – 3 medium (spicy)
Garlic – 1 clove finely chopped
Lime – Juice of 1 large
Cumin – ½ tsp
Salt and Pepper – to taste (appx 1 tsp and ½ tsp respectively)
- Easy to make, chop all the ingredients coarse to fine based on your preference, super fine on the Jalapeño and Garlic. Mix it all up and serve (gets better after a couple hours chilled)
Carne Asada (This trip I used a Tri Tip, talk about tasty!)
Tri Tip Roast – 3lb (marinade overnight)
1 pack beefy onion soup mix
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 garlic clove crushed and chopped
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Grill the tri tip to 130˚ F and rest for 10 minutes
- (appx 8 – 10 minutes a side at 400˚)
- Chop into small chunks for tacos.
- Don't forget your Silicone BBQ Grill Gloves for Safety
Spanish Style Quinoa
1 small can (8 oz) El Pato Sauce
1 tsp cumin
1 T Chicken Bullion
2 cups Quinoa
3 cups water
- Toast the dry Quinoa for just a few moments, when the aroma hits you, stop J
- Mix it all up and cook in your rice cooker or bring to a boil on the grill/stove and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, move to low heat covered for another 15-20 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve warm
Tortillas – Flour or as a healthy alternative (and my preference) corn
Sour Cream – Healthy Alt – Plain Greek Yogurt (and my preference)
Avocado, use a spoon of Pico and the strained juice and 1 lime to make Guacamole
Green Onion and Chopped Cilantro
Talk about an easy meal to make yourself look good! Everyone loves a good taco, and the fresh Pico adds a cutting zing through the rich beef flavor. Quinoa is a flavorful play on an old favorite in Spanish rice. A big hit at any gathering ad as close to comfort food you can get and still remain in your skinny jeans. With tomorrow’s hike looming, I cinch up my boots and pack my hammock, leftovers in some small baggies for an afternoon snack of Quinoa and Salsa on the trail. Speaking of Quinoa and Salsa… I have a great Salad Recipe!